Monday, 12 October 2009

Better the devil you know

Hearing David Cameron's speech at last week's Conservative Party Conference left me thinking 'so what?'
While it was undoubtedly moving (largely due to the reference to the loss of his son, which may or may not have been appropriate), it contained nothing that would inspire confidence or encourage me to think of the Conservatives as the party to lead this country for four years. (Or, for that matter, four months.)
I have a long memory, and I remember what it was like to live under the Tories. I lived through the Brixton riots, the attacks on student grants, and their handling of the previous recession. Wasn't great, was it?
The suits may be a bit sharper, and they are clearly doing everything they can to distance themselves from Thatcherism, but the basic premise remains the same. It's still a party overrun with the over privileged who have no concept of what it's like to budget for a supermarket shop, let alone the finances of a nation. These are the men who built moats and duck islands at our expense, for gawd's sake.
Samantha Cameron wore high street dresses last week to imply that she's 'one of us' but she's actually from the landed gentry. But of course we're not voting for Samantha, any more than we would be voting for Sarah Brown. We're voting for policies.
And as far as I can tell, the Tories - and their leader - are as full of empty rhetoric as they've always been. Thatcher. Major. Cameron. The Conservative Party leadership is simply a Scooby Doo villain in a mask. Rip it off and you'll always find the same sort of face underneath.
I wouldn't trust the Conservatives with a coffee run, let alone the future of the country.

2 comments:

  1. No, I think David Cameron's a chinless wonder but as a pal of ours said yesterday (who was a great lover of Margaret): he's all we've got.

    Thanks for Top Sante. I was thrilled. Its posh journals for me all the way now. No more Daily Mirror or Take A Break. I'm a reformed reader (i think) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It disturbs me how little interest I have in politics, and I wish I cared a little more, but I must say, I found this a compelling read. Not something I ever thought I'd say about anything related to the subject!

    ReplyDelete